Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Saturday, December 1, 2012

New Down Jacket!

I've been in the market for a new packable insulating layer for winter hiking for a couple months now, but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on a couple hundred dollar down jacket.  Well, it seems my procrastination paid off.  Last weekend I spotted a rack of down jackets at BJs Wholesale Club...the price listed? $49.99!  The brand is Hawke and Co. and it seems they're on sale at Macy's too (but not quite the price I was able to procure).  As one would expect, the quality isn't Arc'teryx territory, but you really can't beat this packability and warmth for the price.  Did I mention it weighs in at a slim 9.4oz?!  Yeah....total steal.

It's definitely done the trick for evenings walking the dog in wind chills down in the low 20s, but I'm anxious to see how it performs on the trail.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure when my next backpacking trip will be, especially given my upcoming ultramarathon in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment