Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Desire To Explore

Columbus Day is Monday this week in the US, and I think it's an appropriate time to talk about exploration.  In most cases, the term "explore" applies to seeking new places from a geographical perspective, which I am a huge fan of.  For example, I RARELY run the same route twice.  I just feel there's so much benefit from a growth standpoint in experiencing new places.  The growth is exponential as well...what happens when you share an interesting place or experience with another person?

Of course, that was rhetorical.  But it's a simple concept; what are you doing in your life to explore?  Really, what have you done in the past 7 days that was exploratory?  Did you try any new foods?  Go to a new location that you've never visited before?

These are the foundations of  personal and interpersonal growth.  Think about it.  How do many conversations begin? (with friends and strangers alike)

"How was your weekend?"
"What's new?"

I don't know about you, but that sounds like an invitation to share what you've explored recently.  Is that an emotional "place" you've visited over the weekend?  Maybe you had the chance to spend time with a recent young addition to the family, or reconnect with an old friend?

Exploration is human.  Everyone desires for something new, interesting, different or exciting.  Go get it.  And no matter what anyone says, it doesn't matter what race, gender, ethnicity, age, or sexual orientation you are, these feelings are universal.

Do some exploration today.  When someone asks you on Monday,  "What have you been up to?"  Is your response interesting?  Why not?  There are so many interesting things in this world to explore.  Please experience them, enjoy them, and share them.  Growth is a universal currency; share it.


Given the nature of this post, I figured I'd give a few nuggets of what I've "been up to" since my last post:

- Ran an impromptu 5K in Camp Hill this morning just for the hell of it
- Tried several Middle Eastern dishes I've never experienced before, including Halwa
- Spent a quality few minutes with my niece, nephew and brother, getting an idea of they they've been up to
- Ran essentially every trail at Wildwood Park in Harrisburg, finding some amazing new stretches of trail with a running buddy


Explore locally
Explore distant areas
Explore inward
Explore the familiar

I invite you to share what you've explored in the past 7 days.  If you're unhappy with your results, please alternatively share what you're planning on doing differently for the next 7 days.

1 comment:

  1. Nice idea! Way to start something. No seven days are ever the same it seems.

    Some experiences over my past seven:

    --Did a bunch of head and handstands during yoga for the first time!
    --Took care of my first patients as a nursing student--gave baths and took vitals! Smooth.
    --Attended a 'Body Combat' class (read: 'karate in a club' class)--intense!
    --Learned how to use an otoscope and ophthalmoscope and assess someone's eyes and ears--'geeked out' at my first glance of an optic disc and a tympanic membrane, but I wasn't alone--my classmates freaked out, too. :)
    --Held my growing, 3-week-old baby niece in my arms and thought my heart would literally melt out of its pericardial sac
    --Tried baklava cheesecake, vegan egg-less egg salad, and apricot-flavored beer for the first time--Also continued on my quest to try another pumpkin spice latte in the area--this one at Cornerstone Coffee House in Camp Hill--it was just okay :)--I'm critical of my lattes.
    --Made my first visit to an 'Urgent Care' center for bloodwork--long story!
    --Hit up two parks on the east shore that I didn't know existed...

    ReplyDelete